Our experts answer readers’ insurance questions and write unbiased product reviews (here’s how we assess insurance products). In some cases, we receive a commission from our partners; however, our opinions are our own.
JD Power Customer Satisfaction Rating
AM Best Financial Strength Rating
SafeAuto Auto Insurance car insurance is an insurance provider that offers non-standard coverage geared toward high-risk drivers who may have trouble getting affordable auto insurance coverage. If you’ve been charged with a DUI or have multiple accidents or speeding tickets tarnishing your driving record, this specialty company can provide affordable options. If you need SR-22 filings taken care of, SafeAuto provides that service and liability coverage to meet state standards.
You can navigate the SafeAuto website in both English and Spanish. Once you get coverage, a mobile app makes account access easier.
SafeAuto has been around since 1993 and, as recently as 2021, was acquired by Allstate’s subsidiary National General. While SafeAuto is different in that it offers non-standard coverage and fills a significant coverage gap, it’s only available to drivers in some states. To learn more, read our SafeAuto car insurance review about coverage options, affordability, and more.
Types of Car Insurance Plans from SafeAuto
Through SafeAuto car insurance, you can get similar coverage compared to many big auto insurers. However, the main difference is that these plans may target high-risk drivers with blemishes on their driving records. Due to that, premiums may cost more as well.
SafeAuto car insurance plans include:
- Liability insurance: Each state has minimum coverage requirements for liability insurance. This helps cover the other party’s property damage and bodily injury costs if you’re at fault. However, many buy higher liability limits to protect themselves after a more significant accident.
- Collision insurance: If you have an incident with another vehicle or object, collision insurance covers property damage to your car.
- Comprehensive insurance: Sometimes, things that aren’t collision-related happen to your car. Common examples include weather damage, theft, hitting an animal, and vandalism cover repairs under comprehensive coverage.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage: This coverage can help drivers stay protected in an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver. This coverage matches your liability limits but kicks in once the other driver’s available liability coverage stops. In other words, if a drunk driver hits your car and has state minimum liability coverage of $25,000 (will vary across states). If your damages total $50,000, the drunk driver’s insurance would take care of the first $25,000, and yours would fill in the gap. You would have no additional coverage if you only had state minimum coverage.
- Medical payments: Opting for this coverage type can cover medical expenses if you’re injured in a car accident. It is relatively small. So think ambulance rides and initial ER visits. If you were not at fault, the other driver’s insurance would kick in for larger bills.
Additional Coverage Options (Riders)
Aside from the more traditional coverage options listed above, SafeAuto has a couple of riders or add-ons available. However, it should be noted that compared to other insurance providers, the extra coverage options are limited and include:
- Rental car reimbursement. You may be eligible to add rental car reimbursement if you have collision and comprehensive coverage. It gets you a rental car within your chosen limits while your vehicle is being repaired after a claim. Typically, this coverage can extend up to 30 days. It also may not be available in all states.
- Roadside assistance. You may consider roadside assistance coverage if you have a car insurance policy with SafeAuto. This service delivers gas and helps with flat tires, lock-out services, winching, towing, dead batteries, and minor mechanical support. It may not be available in all states.
- Towing and labor coverage. This add-on provides up to $40 reimbursement per incident if your vehicle is towed or mechanical labor is done after a car breakdown. It may not be available in all states.
If you’re looking for gap insurance coverage on a financed car, SafeAuto doesn’t include this as an option. As a non-standard insurer, it also doesn’t offer what some other standard insurers call accident forgiveness.
How Much Does SafeAuto Car Insurance Cost?
If you’re considered a high-risk driver, you’ll likely pay more for car insurance coverage no matter where you go. However, compared to standard insurers like Progressive, State Farm, and GEICO, SafeAuto Auto Insurance may offer lower rates for high-risk drivers as it bundles its risk.
SafeAuto rates would be above the national average for drivers with better driving records. But unfortunately, this makes it non-competitive for drivers with standard driving records.
How to File A Claim
If you have several options, you must file a claim with SafeAuto. You can:
- Log into your online account and report a claim
- Call 1-800-SAFEAUTO (1-800-723-3288) to get in touch with the claims department
- Use its online chat function to talk with an agent between 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET or 24/7 with a virtual assistant
When filing a claim, you’ll need pertinent details, including where the incident occurred, the time, and the date. You’ll also need contact information, including names, phone numbers, insurance information, and drivers’ current addresses. All of this can be found on the police report.
SafeAuto Car Insurance FAQs
As of 2021, SafeAuto was acquired by insurance provider Allstate through its subsidiary company National General.
SafeAuto is considered a non-standard insurance company. The company writes policies for drivers high-risk for traditional insurers. Such drivers include those with DUI convictions, multiple moving violations or accidents, and more.
SafeAuto Car insurance is available in Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. SafeAuto may not offer direct coverage for other states but will help you find another option.
SafeAuto offers SR-22 filings and car insurance for drivers who need it. This would apply to things like driving without insurance or drunk driving.
Methodology: What Went into Our SafeAuto Car Insurance Review
Finding many affordable options may be challenging if you need specialized car insurance catered to high-risk drivers. As part of this SafeAuto car insurance review, we looked at coverage types offered, cost of premiums, add-ons, and consumer reviews. SafeAuto has limited options for a specific target audience.
It has good consumer reviews on Consumer Affairs with 4 out of 5 stars. However, consumers have left poor ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since SafeAuto was acquired. In addition, the coverage is lacking for specialized riders, but other competitors may be unable to complete with its specialty rates.
Compares SafeAuto vs. GEICO
SafeAuto car insurance is deliberately designed for drivers who may have a poor driving record. It stands out through its high-risk insurance options, particularly for drivers who require SR-22s. However, the company offers basic coverage with only limited riders.
GEICO Auto Insurance has a more extended history as a comprehensive insurance provider. It can also provide SR-22s, but rates may go up substantially. Unlike SafeAuto, it has many riders, including accident forgiveness, mechanical breakdown insurance, and umbrella insurance, to get you started. GEICO operates primarily online as a discount retailer. Based on quotes we’ve seen, GEICO is one of the standard providers most likely to compete with SafeAuto for some drivers.
Compare SafeAuto vs. Liberty Mutual
If you’re looking for generous driving history guidelines, SafeAuto is highly attractive. If, on the other hand, you want expanded coverage options, there may be better options than Safeco. Another insurance company to consider is Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance. SafeAuto and Liberty Mutual offer add-ons like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement, but Liberty Mutual wins out with its much longer list of riders and discounts.
Liberty Mutual provides gap coverage, original parts replacement, and new car replacement insurance. High-risk drivers looking for the basics may check out SafeAuto. But if you need more, Liberty Mutual is an option to consider.
Compare SafeAuto vs. USAA
SafeAuto car insurance is available to anyone, especially high-risk drivers who may not qualify with other insurers. USAA Auto Insurance also offers car insurance exclusively to military members and their families. However, if you meet the requirements, consumers are happy with USAA and its affordability. It offers competitive rates other providers can’t match, even for high-risk military drivers. It also provides expanded or unique benefits. However, it’s exclusively available to this select group.
SafeAuto has comparably lower customer service ratings, partly because of USAA’s unique restrictions and offerings. There’s always the question of whether USAA will open its product line to other groups, and that’s unlikely. As such, one significant advantage is that Safeco can make substantial changes and adjustments in the future. USAA is limited only to specific changes.