If you can’t get USAA, you’ll probably find the best car insurance rates from Geico. And if you’re a safe driver, you could save even more. Geico offers a usage-based program called DriveEasy.
DriveEasy tracks distracted driving, speed, hard braking, cornering, distance, smoothness, time of day, and weather. Not all of those directly impact your discount. Also, the discount can vary by state. DriveEasy is available in 34 states at this time.
Geico Car Insurance Coverage
In addition to standard car insurance, GEICO offers:
- Roadside assistance: Through Geico’s Emergency Road Service, drivers can request roadside assistance right in an app. It includes coverage for towing, jump starts, flat tire changes, and lockout services.
- Rental reimbursement: This option helps pay rental car costs when your car is being repaired after a claim. Enterprise Rent-A-Car bills Geico directly under this arrangement.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI): MBI is similar to an extended car warranty, except you pay for it with your auto insurance policy. This program covers repairs for all mechanical parts, though it doesn’t cover maintenance or regular wear and tear. MBI is available for vehicles under 15 months old or with fewer than 15,000 miles, and it can be renewed annually up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.
- Other insurance products: Geico offers many kinds of insurance, including boat, rideshare, condo, mobile home, landlord, professional liability, overseas, and jewelry insurance.
Geico Auto Insurance Reviews
Geico has an A+ rating from the BBB and scored well in the J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study. It ranked above average in all regions except the Southeast, the Mid-Atlantic, and Texas.
In our consumer survey, Geico scored well for its mobile app (4.2), claims service (4.2), and value of claim settlement (4.1). Overall, 77% of customers would recommend Geico to a friend.
Geico Pros And Cons
To learn more about this car insurance provider, check out our full Geico review.
#4 Liberty Mutual: Best For Teens
AM Best financial strength rating: A
Overall satisfaction on our consumer survey: 4.1/5.0
Liberty Mutual earns the fourth spot on our list of best car insurance companies for its programs for teens. Being a young driver is hard because insurance rates tend to be expensive. Teens have a higher risk of getting into an accident, statistically speaking. However, Liberty Mutual makes things more affordable with the following discounts for young drivers:
- New teen driver discount: Get a discount when you add a new teen to your policy within the last year.
- Teen driving program discount: Drivers under 21 can get this discount if they complete a qualified training program.
- Good student discount: This discount applies to students under 25 who maintain a B average.
- Student-away-at-school discount: If your teen lives away from home and only rarely drives your car, you could save on your policy.
Liberty Mutual Cost
Number of discounts: 13
In our consumer survey, Liberty Mutual customers rated the company slightly higher than average for affordability. The average rating was 3.7 out of 5.0, while Liberty Mutual customers rated the company 3.8 for affordability. While cost data from Quadrant Information Services is not available for Liberty Mutual, we believe it to be an affordable company because of these survey responses.
The company also offers a variety of discounts besides the ones for teens mentioned above. These include:
- Homeowner discount
- Military discount
- Claims-free discount
- Violation-free discount
- Multi-policy and multi-car discounts
- Discounts for autopay, paying in full, buying online, and paperless billing
Finally, Liberty Mutual’s Right Track® program can help good drivers save up to 30 percent. Depending on where you live, you’ll either use a mobile app or plug-in device to track your driving.
Liberty Mutual Coverage
Liberty Mutual offers some of the best coverage upgrades in the industry. Some companies may offer two or three different options beyond standard coverage, while Liberty Mutual offers 10. Here are the details.
- Deductible fund: This add-on reduces your deductible by $100 each year (and costs $30 each year for you).
- Lifetime repair guarantee: With this option, Liberty Mutual will arrange your auto repairs from an approved facility and guarantee the repairs for life.
- New car replacement: This covers your vehicle for its original replacement cost if you total it within one year of 15,000 miles (from the in-service date).
- Better car replacement: With this add-on, Liberty Mutual will replace your totaled car with a model one year and 15,000 miles newer.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of a rental car while your car is in the shop after an accident up to a limit. If you go to a Liberty Mutual preferred shop, the coverage will last until the repair is completed.
- Roadside assistance: This covers towing, battery jump-starts, fuel delivery, spare tire assistance, and lockout assistance.
- Gap insurance: This covers the difference between your car’s value and what you owe on your auto loan in the case of a total loss.
- Original parts replacement: This option ensures repairs use original equipment manufacturer parts whenever possible.
- Teachers’ auto insurance: This covers up to $2,500 of teaching materials in your car and waives your deductible if your car is vandalized at school or damaged while you’re driving for school business.
- Mexico car insurance: This option covers your car if you drive into Mexico.
Liberty Mutual Reviews
Liberty Mutual has an A+ rating with accreditation from the BBB. However, Liberty Mutual performed below average in most regions on the J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study.
In our customer survey, Liberty Mutual scored well for claims service (4.1), its mobile app (4.1), and customer service from agents (4.0). Overall, 75% of customers would recommend Liberty Mutual to a friend.
Liberty Mutual Pros And Cons
#5 Travelers: Best Coverage Selection
AM Best financial strength rating: A++
Overall satisfaction on our consumer survey: 4.2/5.0
Travelers rounds out our top five picks for best car insurance because it offers a great coverage selection including gap insurance, accident forgiveness, and Premier New Car Replacement®. Travelers has been around since 1864 and is the 10th-largest car insurance provider according to the NAIC.
Number of discounts: 14
Travelers is a bit more affordable than the industry average. Its annual full-coverage rate of $1,669 falls just below the industry average of $1,730. It also offers more affordable rates for people with points on their driving records than the industry averages for speeding, an at-fault accident, and a DUI.